The Star Valley Pioneer and Historical Museum
The current Star Valley Pioneer and History Museum is a joint venture between the Star Valley Historical Society and the Lincoln Camp of The Daughters of Utah Pioneers (DUP). The Center, affectionately referred to as the "Museum" or "Old Seminary Building", houses both the Star Valley Historical Society artifacts as well as those of the Daughter of Utah Pioneers. The building is normally open during the summer months and during the Lincoln County Fair Week. There is no charge for admission. It is located at 138 South Washington in Afton.
The following photos show some of the interior rooms of the Museum:
The Foyer or Entrance.
The Laundry Room
The Medical Room
The Loom Room
The Baker Cabin
By Dennis Baker
Alonzo and his eldest son Lonny, then age ten, were absent in the spring of 1889 working in Montana. The family was living on the homestead in Etna in a tent and an overturned wagon box. Anna Eliza (age 32) was left alone with six children, the youngest but a baby. Wife Anna Eliza, my grandmother, having spent the previous winter under these primitive conditions, wanted a house. She had the knowledge and skill (having learned the building trades from her contractor father) to build a house and most importantly she had the will and determination.
She hauled the stone for a foundation from the east side of the Valley, probably from Prater Canyon, and selected the logs from the area what is now the Star Valley Ranch. She carefully square-hewn the logs to the proper size and thickness. Uniform poles were used for the joists in the floor and ceiling. Note the log connections at the corners. It is our understanding that this was the first house in the Lower Valley with a shingled roof. Dirt roofs were common place. The Turners had recently opened a shingle mill on Willow Creek and the shingles probably came from there. Because of her construction methods this house has stood the test of time.
The house was originally constructed in the NE quadrant of Section 23 about two and a half miles south and a quarter mile west of Etna in 1889. The following year, 1890, the family acquired additional land and moved the house with a six span of horses approximately two miles to the new location where it stood for the next 102 years.
Anna Eliza died in 1899 and Alonzo remarried in 1902 and the the family continued to live in the house until about 1912 when Alonzo sold out. During the next twenty-five years, the following subsequent owners and families lived in the house, although not necessarily in this order: Reynold Robinson, Rob Erickson, Roy Keeler, Kenneth Clinger, Cecil Skinner (twice), W. Schofield and Tol Chapman. Several children were born in this house; many are still living. Some are still living in Star Valley. Some time about the beginning of World War II, the owner of the property converted the building into a combination grainery and chicken coop and then the house became another farm utility building.
In 1991, the (Baker) family learned the owner was willing to part with the building and through negotiations, we were able to obtain ownership. Wayne Baker jacked the building up and J P Robinson of Jacknife Trucking moved the building, without cost, to this site on property owned by Lloyd Baker which had been filled-in by Lincoln County. Members of the family donated money and labor to restore the building to its original condition. In 1993, the site and the building were deeded to the Star Vallely Historical Society to be listed on the National Registry. After three more years of work by the fine people of the Valley, the Historical Society, the family and Camp Eliza of the Daughter of Utah Pioneers, the building is to be dedicated. Location: The Baker Cabin is located on the west side of Highway 89 in Etna.
The Historical Barn Museum
Star Valley Historical Society Barn Museum This historic barn, once owned by the University of Wyoming, is currently located on the Lincoln County Fairgrounds in Afton. About the same time the old LDS Seminary building, previously located on the former Afton High School property, was moved to its new location on the Fairgrounds, the old dairy barn was given to the Star Valley Historical Society. The building underwent a renovation program to stabilize and reinforce the inside. In addition, new roofing and paint was added to the outside in preparation for being included in the National Barn Again barn restoration program in 2004. Call (307) 883-2174 or (307) 885-5523 for more info.
Location: The building may be seen at 138 South Washington in Afton.
Call Air Museum
The museum is co-located within the Afton Civic Center at 138 South Washington in Afton. The CallAir Museum is open Memorial Day to Labor Day, weekdays from 1:00pm to 5:00pm.
A most unusual view of a high-performance ag-plane! The Call Air B1-1A crop duster began production in 1965. A total of 35 planes were produced. It was powered by a Pratt & Whitney 450 hp radial engine. With a service of 18,000 ft, a cruising range of 350 miles and a cruising speed of 115 mph at 75% power and 3,000 lbs gross weight, this was "one of the tough birds".
Pound for pound and power to weight, this B-1A is the top bird in its class. It was a very forgiving plane and presented no transition problems for pilots moving up.
Afton production line for the Call Air A-5 and A-6 aircraft. Approximately 200 of these planes were manufactured between 1954 and 1960.
Two models of this aircraft, the 150 A-5 and 180 A-6 were produced. A rather unique design placed the hopper and pilot side by side in the open-air fuselage. The later model boasted a 180 hp Lycoming, an empty weight of 1170 pounds and a useful load of 1180 pounds. Loaded at 2,150 pounds, the take-off run was 550 feet.
A photomural looking South at the Afton Call Air aircraft plant. Here can be seen a number of Call Air A-6 ag-planes awaiting delivery to new customers around the world.
The Call Air A-3 was powered by a 6 cylinder, 125 hp, Continental engine. Forty of these cabin planes were manufactured between 1944 and 1954. The price in 1952 was $5,525.
The empty weight was 1000 pounds with a useful load of 550 pounds. Cruising speed was 120 mph and the stalling speed was 42 mph. Climb rate at sea level was 1,000 feet per minute and the useable ceiling was 17,500 feet.
At the time the Call Air Snowcar was built, there was a need for a vehicle to transport people quickly over the snow. The Snowcar provided a practical solution for snow bound regions. Using aircraft-type construction, the Snowcar was strong and light in weight (450-550 pounds empty). The enclosed cab allowed two passengers to ride comfortably; however, it was possible to squeeze three people inside, if necessary. The Snowcar utilized 65 to 85 hp Continental aircooled engines. With the larger 85 hp engine, options like a starter and generator were offered.
The Snowcar utilized aircraft steel tub construction, but the skiis and springs were made from duraluminum. Fuel capacity was 20 gallons. Also offered was a special trailer for carrying the Snowcar on roads and highways. The Snowcar proved itself over and over again throughout the rugged winters of Star Valley, Jackson Hole and the Green River Lakes country.
Lander Trail Center
The building may be seen at 138 South Washington in Afton. The museum is open primarily during the summer months. Call (307) 883-2174 or (307) 885-5523 for more information. (GPS:42.73160N 110.934205W).