Town of Fairview History
Town of Fairview History
By Etta Nebeker
The first families to live in Fairview were those of Grant and George Campbell, Marriott Wells, Fred Brown Sr., and James
Dinsdale. In 1885, these families settled along Crow Creek.
When John C. Dewey moved to Fairview in 1888, he built a large log room for his family, and because it was the largest room in
the settlement, the people gathered there for spelling bees and parties.
On July 2, 1889, the Fairview Ward was organized with John C. Dewey as bishop who was set apart by LDS Apostle Heber J. Grant.
On January 27, 1889, at the very first meeting in the newly constructed log church house, the members submitted names for the
town. The name "Fairview" was submitted by Jane Tolman and was chosen unanimously.
Caroline Campbell and Eli Sprague were the first couple married in Fairview. They were married by O. R. Child, Sr.
The first baby was born in 1885 to Marriott Wells and Theodesia Campbell.
One of the earliest LDS missionaries called before the turn of the century was Franklin G. Tolman. Lottie Child Roberts was
called with her husband Edgar Roberts to the Samoa Islands in 1887.
A United States Post Office was established on December 18, 1889 with Phoebe Irene Allred as the first postmaster.
The first school was held in the summer of 1889 with Georgianna Merriott as teacher. She taught about 30 pupils, all ages and
grades. School was held in the log meeting house. One morning when the teacher arrived, the big iron wood stove had burned a
hole in the floor and was sitting on the ground.
The Fairview Dramatic Company was organized in 1890 with B. H. Allred, manager. The first play presented in the little log
schoolhouse was "Ten Nights in the Barroom" with J. C. Dewey as the villain.
To Fairview goes the honor of having the first brass band in Star Valley. The band was first organized on May 10, 1897 by
Thomas Hood and was called "The Free Silver Band".
In 1902, a water pipeline made from small logs with holes bored through the center was started. Water was piped from the
spring in Spring Creek Canyon, over the hill to Fairview. This pipeline lasted only five or six years as the logs soon
Town of Fairview Cemetery History
Location: From the four-way stop sign at the U.S. Post Office in Fairview, travel south on Bitter Creek Road (LC 144) approximately 0.7 miles. The Fairview cemetery is on the right (west). (GPS: 42.68162N 110.98772W)
How Obtained: Ground donated by William Pead
History: by Elden & Grace Erickson, Vilate Turner and Ester Crook.
The Fairview Ward was organized in 1889 and plans were made immediately for the location of the cemetery; however, the very
first bodies were interred at the Afton Cemetery.
William Pead donated the ground for the cemetery which is located about one half mile south of the town site. The agreement
was: five acres donated to the ward and the other five acres were to be paid for by the ward. However, the road was
inconvenient and was changed later on.
According to the information given to the "Star Valley History", the first grave was dug there in 1889. Caroline Campbell
Sprague died 20 February giving birth to her child. The baby, who died, was also placed in her arms. However, according to the
inscription on the tombstones, we find the following listings:
William Eddie Harmon - May 1890
Laura May Tolman - about 1890
Caroline Campbell Sprague - 20 February 1891
Orson P. Tolman - 13 October 1891